Firstly, in the present dispensation, if a Northerner wins the 2011 Presidential Election, he should serve only one term of four years. Thereafter, the Presidency should rotate to the next zone that has not had a chance i.e. South East Zone. This is because rotation should be applied on zonal basis and not on North and South basis, which puts some zones in comparative disadvantage. The zoning formula should be entrenched in the revised Constitution, not by political party arrangement.
If, on the other hand, the incumbent President, a Southerner from the South South Zone is re-elected in 2011, he should as well serve only one term and ensure that the Presidency rotates to the South East Zone in 2015. The present zoning system between North and South applied by the ruling party should be abolished and a proper rotational system based on rotation of the Presidency among the six geopolitical zones should be entrenched in the Constitution in order to guarantee each zone the right to produce the Presidency. Should a President die in office or resign his office and the Vice President serves out his remaining tenure, the next President should automatically be chosen from another zone in order to avoid the confusion we had in the present situation which could provoke political tension.
However, the choice of a Vice President should be based on the old regional basis of North, West and East so that the President from the North would be obliged to choose his running mate from either the East or the West and vice versa in order to reflect the Federal character.
Secondly, assure the creation of one state in the South East Zone to redress imbalance and marginalization. SEZ is the only zone with five states while others have at least six states each.
- Speedy construction of 2nd Onitsha Bridge. The existing one is very old, weak and overstretched.
- Actualisation of planned Onitsha Sea/River Port and completion of the dredging of River Niger. Onitsha was chosen for Dry Port many years ago.
iii. Railway link from Enugu-Onitsha-Lagos to achieve nationwide rail network.
- Upgrading Enugu Airport as the only international airport in the South East Zone
- Establishment of a new major employment creation industry such as Flat Sheet Iron Industry or Oil and Gas Refinery in the South East Zone
- Commencement of exploitation of known oil and gas reserved in South East Zone
vii. Revitalization of Anamco or establishment of a new motor assembly plant
viii. As national policy, upgrade and equip one University Teaching Hospital in the Zone same as in other zones to be highly specialized reference hospitals such as National Hospital, Abuja.
- Revamp coal industry in Enugu
- Revamp Oji Power Station which uses coal
- Restructure and equip Afam Gas Power Station.
xii. Ensure speedy and high quality completion of on-going inter-state dual carriage highways, and link South East Zone to Abuja via Otuocha uncompleted bridge/highway.
Education is the engine of economic growth in … Read More